The Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus is the best preserved of all ancient Greek theatres, seating up to 14.000 people. It was aimed to shelter musical and singing contests, as well as drama performances dedicated to Asclepius’ worship. The theatre was designed in the mid 4th century by the Argeian architect and sculptor Polycleitus and was built on the west side of the Kynortion Mountain. It is a perfect sample of the typical tripartite structure of the Hellenistic Theatre, meaning it had an auditorium (koilon), an orchestra, and a stage (skene).
Besides being the most famous ancient Greek theatre, it is, in aesthetic terms, the finest one; apart from the perfect harmony of its parts and dimensions, it has perfect acoustics. No wonder it’s considered the “biggest stone resonator in the world”. Here, the works of the great tragedians still move the hearts of the spectators. Ever since 1955, when the “Athens and Epidaurus Festival” was established, the Epidaurus Festival (“Epidauria”) has become a yearly event.